Dear parents and carers,
I hope you had a restful and relaxing summer break.
As we prepare to welcome students back to school later this week I would like to issue a few reminders about some changes we have made. For timings and dates of school return please refer to the latest news section of our website using the link below. Please also be aware that the school day finishes early at 12.20pm on Wednesday 14th September for our new intake Open Evening.
Timing of the school day and punctuality
Please remember that the timing of the school day has changed in line with DfE guidance. The school doors will open at 8.15am every morning. Students will need to be in the building by 8.30am at the latest to get to their tutor rooms by 8.35am. Any student arriving at tutorial or assembly after 8.35am will be marked late and have to complete a same day detention at the end of the school day for a period of 30 minutes. Any student arriving at school after 9.00am will be marked late and have to complete a same day detention at the end of the school day for a period of 45 minutes.
Arbor Parent App
If you have not already installed our Arbor Parent App then I would really urge you to do so. This will keep you informed with essential updates, communications and notifications that are pertinent to your child. This may include attendance, behaviour and rewards information as well as notifications for same day detentions. We will be using the Arbor App to communicate a range of important information so please ensure you do have it installed on your digital devices. For further information please visit our website using the link below.
Invisible phone policy
You will remember that prior to the summer we informed you of a change to our policy regarding mobile phones. We no longer permit students to have their mobile phone visible anywhere on the school premises.
The rules governing this policy are:
- Phones must be switched off and be ‘invisible’ as soon as students walk through the school gates.
- The phone must be placed in a zipped pocket either in a bag or blazer
- Students are not allowed to take their phone out once they are past the school gates
- If the phone is seen or heard anywhere on the school site, either indoors or outdoors then it will be confiscated, parents may have to collect it if this is not the first time
- Phones are only allowed to be turned on once the student has left the school site and gone beyond the school gates
- Any associated devices such as smartwatches, airpods, headphones, power banks etc. must also be hidden. They will be confiscated if seen.
- The same rules apply to sixth form students with the exception of their dedicated common room and private study space
- “See it, hear it, lose it!”
The sanctions for non-compliance are:
- If a phone or associated digital device is seen during the school day at any point, either inside or outside the building, it will be confiscated by the member of staff and stored securely in reception
- The student will receive a 45 minute same day after school detention and their confiscated device will be returned at the end of the detention
- Refusal to hand a phone or digital device over to ANY member of staff will result in a period of time in the reflection room. All phones must be handed in to staff on entering the reflection room.
- If a digital device is confiscated twice in a 4 week period the student will spend the day in the reflection room. A further removal within the 4 week period will lead to confiscation of the device until a parental discussion has been held.
- If students are found to have communicated on their phone during the day, the same sanctions will be enforced
All detentions will start from Monday 12th September and will run every day after school. Parents will be notified if their child is in detention that day with an advanced notification sent through the Arbor parent app. The only exception to this is if the detention is issued after lunchtime, at which point it will roll over to the following day. Any student not attending a detention without a valid reason will complete an additional detention.
We thank you for your support in this matter.
Our Vision, Values and Ethos
Finally, please note that at the start of a new academic year we have slightly revised Our Vision, Values and Ethos and we would be very grateful if you could take the time to read the update. Hopefully, you share our intent and will continue to support us, as we strive to deliver the best education for your children based on high standards, expectations and aspirations. Please click the link below to access this update on our website.
Stay safe, take care and thank you for your continued support. It is most appreciated.