What training/expertise does our staff have in supporting with SEND?
We follow a training plan for all staff which includes whole school training on SEND issues. All staff are subject to performance management reviews.
Individual teachers and support staff can also attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the specific needs of SEND children within our care.
Examples of training received by staff in school include:
· High Quality Teaching strategies
· Safeguarding and Child Protection training
· Teaching and Learning, sharing good practice
· Book and marking strategies, sharing good practice
· Autism awareness and sensory overload
· Level One Autism
· Leading Good Autism Practice
· Visual Impairment Awareness, sharing good practice
· Independent Living skills and mobility support
· Specialist training for new vision technologies
· Speech and Language Strategies
· Qualified first aiders
· Epi-pen and asthma
· Health and safety
· Understanding And Managing ADHD
· Inclusive PE training programme
· Including pupils with physical difficulties in secondary schools
· Understanding Children and Young People’s Mental Health
· British Sign Language
· General barriers to exam success
· Speech and language – How behavioural difficulties may be masking an underlying communication need
· Speech and language – How can we support our students in their vocabulary
· Enable don’t Disable
· Attachment Disorder
· Managing Sexualized Behaviour in an Educational Setting
· Practical ways to support a student with Cerebral Palsy
· Dyslexia Awareness
· ADHD training
· Understanding challenging behaviour
In addition, some staff have also been trained in:
· SENCo national qualification – Our Inclusion Leader is fully qualified and accredited with the National Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator Award
· Mandatory Qualification for Teaching Students with Vision Impairment (QTVI) – Our Head of our Vision Resource Base is a QTVI.
Our Lead TA for Autism has received training in:
Autism Tier 1, Autism Tier 2, Autism and mental health, Attachment disorder, Bullying and ASC and Transition and ASC.
Our Inclusion Leader/SENCo has received training in:
Level 3 Strategic Autism training
Our Inclusion Leader/SENCo has achieved a Certificate of Competence in Educational Testing